Thursday, June 19, 2014

They Might Be Giants

Today I had an OB appointment and it turns out I am pregnant with a small giant. When the ultrasound put her wand on my stomach her first word was "Whoa!" which you know, is always the first thing expectant parents want to hear. She went on to say "Whoa, that is one big kid. He certainly doesn't have much room". Apparently, Baby Rowboat is already measuring in at a whooping 7 lbs 14 oz.  Guys, I have THREE weeks left! Three weeks left for that almost 8 pound baby to become a 10 pound plus baby. My OB opened my ultrasound file when he came in the room and with an amused look on his face said, "Well, these things can be off by a bit. Let's really hope for your sake that your baby is not that big, but I am pretty sure you are looking at a baby at least 8 lbs at minimum". Aw! I know these measurements are almost always off, but whoa! When I told my nurse my worries, she was said "I mean, you are obviously measuring very big so it would make sense that you would have a big baby" Oh since we are talking about other comments on my enormous size, my co-worker told me I am bigger than she was when she was this far along. Oh and little tidbit, she had TWINS. How about instead everyone tells me how not gigantic they find me?
I guess I can't blame them when I look at this picture though. That is a pretty impressive basketball of a stomach. 
Also, I am very much hoping to do this birth without pain medication. Every time I have told someone close to me my plan, they have more or less laughed at me. The people I am counting on supporting me most have likely been the most doubtful. Luckily, this has just made me 100% more determined to prove to them I can most assuredly do this. Feel free to tell me I can do this or stories about amazing people doing the same thing. 

In other news, my favorite bearded hubby is dedicating his entire summer to doing some pretty fascinating research for the University of Toledo. Most of the focus has primarily been on the negative effects of sugar on the body, the addictive nature of sugar and the prevalence of sugar in America's food supply. It is ridiculously fun for me to "assist" with his research by watching health documentaries, reading articles, listening to books on tape and my all-time fav, being suspiciously monitored by Wal-Mart security as we go through the cereal aisles documenting nutrition facts and what consumers are putting in their carts. I truly do support Sel's research and think he is doing a stellar job of contributing to the medical field. I also believe that being healthy or at least really trying to be healthy should be a top priority in anyone's life. Sel and I have, like anyone, had their ups and downs with our efforts. Lately we have had an up. Wahoo! We recently have been pounding the fresh fruits and veggies from our CSA like nobody's business, exercising, and reducing our processed food intake. 


Look at all that delicious stuff! 
Want to know a secret though? All I want from life is salad, strawberries, sugar snap peas plus ice-cream, balled ice with lime juice, and Chick-fil-A cookies. Since Sel is being amazingly healthy, I am ashamed to succumb to eating things I know are not great for me in front of him. This week I decided a frosty and I needed to get together pronto. I didn't want Sel to know though so I used our special cash fund we use for the toll road, parked a half mile down the street from our house, and then pretty much made out with my frosty. I then proceeded to try and hide the evidence by dumping the frosty cup in our neighbors trash can. The thing is, I know Sel probably wouldn't judge me, but fat habits die hard folks. Also, is it okay to pull the pregnancy card here? Yes?

Well, please ask the pregnancy gods to keep this kid under 11 pounds for me. Either way, I can hardly wait to meet this adorable chubby babe of mine. 


No comments:

Post a Comment