Friday, July 31, 2015

Rowan Turns One


My sweet baby is officially a toddler! I thought I would be really nostalgic and weepy, but I've found myself incredibly happy instead. I read over my monthly posts about Row and was so proud of all he has accomplished this last year. He has grown from this precious little 9 lb infant to a sweet, busy, and brilliant 23 lb kiddo. I feel like Rowan has grown at an exceptionally fast pace. He was a fairly big baby who was incredibly aware and interactive, then he kept up his exponential growth those first few months. I feel like I have a 16 month old as opposed to a one-year-old and I honestly wouldn't have it any other way.
I can't even begin to describe how grateful I am for Rowan. The other night I was nursing him before bed and realized everything I've ever hoped for, wanted, and dreamed of fit snuggly on my lap. My whole life, heart and soul embodied in an angelic little human. He defines perfection. 
Let's talk about Rowboat. This month Row has leveled up from being pretty sharp, to full-on genius. He understands so much! He learns at a frightening rate and his memory is razor sharp. I know most one-year-old's have a short attention span, but this kid can focus. This last month he went from knowing a few signs to almost 40. When I started recording the signs he knows last week, there were only 25. He adores being able to communicate with us. It honestly scares me a little how quickly he is learning. I feel a bit unequipped to teach him. I just keep feeling like I am not quite bright enough to keep up with him. I've decided to up my game on educating myself and have given up Netflix in favor of frequent library visits. Waiit, sorry getting sidetracked and talking about Rowan's understudy instead of the true star. 

Here are a list of his current signs: FAN (this is his all-time fav for life sign. Whenever we FaceTime his grandparents, all he does is sign for them to show him their fan. Is there a profession out there as a fan expert? If not, he'll likely invent a Ph.D in Fan Studies),
light, dog, cat, cracker, bean, go, car, outside, milk, drink, banana, leaf, wash hands, potty, tree, sun, bird, ball, crocodile, fish, hat/hot (he gets confused on this one and uses them interchangeably), on, baby, swing, no, socks, shoes, yes, prayer, thank you (this one is adorable! The sign for thank you sort of looks like blowing a kiss so Rowan always blows a kiss when I ask him to say thank you) , slide, grass, rain, open, magic (he just learned this one over the past 24 hours and it's hilarious. Sel started popping some of his birthday balloons with a thumbtack and Rowan was transfixed. I practiced more with him today and he couldn't get enough of it), ball, more, grapes, train, food, feelings (this one I didn't even teach him. He picked it up from baby signing time and started doing it when I was reading him a book that talked about feelings), again, please

Rowan has also started to fold his arms anytime he sits down to eat food. The other day I was at feeding him and he just stopped and expectantly folded his arms for a prayer! I had totally spaced doing one and my ever good little guy reminded me. 

This month Rowan has learned to throw his diapers in the trash! Yeah! He also has learned to throw toys, binkies, whole bananas, and my sister's cell phone in there too. 

I know most think their child is the sweetest thing on the plant, but Rowan truly is. He just LOVES people. He loves giving hugs and kisses to other kids and most kids sort of hate it. It breaks my little mom heart to see how much he wants to just share the love and how often he gets the cold shoulder. He is just so interested in playing with other kids. I've noticed the younger crowd (5 and under) seems very confused by his excitement to play with them. The biggest problem right now is how interested in he is in what another kid is doing. If another child wants to play with a car while Row is playing with a ball, Rowan will decide he wants to play with the car. Once the older child decides to move on to the ball now that Rowan is all over he/she, Rowan decides he wants to play with the ball again. I think he hasn't figured out just yet how to joint play, but he really, really wants to. 

Rowan has always been affectionate, but he hasn't even been overly snuggly. I had resigned myself to being satisfied with his brief hugs and kisses, but now I have a kid who not only submits to my demands for cuddling, but he demands it from me! Now that it is his choice when to come to me instead of being forced by a previous lack of mobility, he actually seems to enjoy snuggling up on my lap. Dad is still his favorite playmate, but he is certainly securely attached to me. When he is tired or hurt, I am his comfort object. 

Row has slowed down on growth.  He still likes food, but pretty much only snacks here and there. The things he does really love right now are grapes, green smoothies, plums, watermelon, noodles, and wheat balls(delish vegan recipie). I was concerned about his slowing, but the doc said it was normal. He only gained one pound since his 9 month (23 lbs) and one inch (30.5) which dropped him to the 75% for both. He only has two little bottom teeth which again is supposedly normal. My final question for the pediatrician became all too easy to ask when Row ran across the room and started banging his head against the wall. The head banging happens at least weekly. Guess he is normal there too. The thing he wasn't normal on was how interactive and bright! The doctor gave him a book with baby faces on it and he started signing baby! She noted his cognitive and retention abilities seem spot on. I am sure she says that to everyone about their kid, but I am chosing to believe she was sincere. Mom pride. 

I have to share one hilarious story that happened today. I was trying to unpack from visiting my parents and heard Rowan go into the bathroom. He has become incredibly interested in "the potty". He keeps throwing things in there and loves to shut the lid anytime it is open. I used my authoritative mom voice to ask what he was doing and started to make my way to the bathroom. All of a sudden, Row runs (actually runs-not just toddles about) out of the bathroom with an absolutely terrified look on his face and adorning this season's most fashionable toilet paper scarf. I bent down to scoop him up, but he arched away from me then belly flopped between my legs. He started scampering away like some wounded forest animal. He obviously knew he had done something I was not going to approve of from the look on his face and petrified running from me. I lifted the toilet lid to find a bunch of pictures I'd printed off for his birthday in there. It could have been worse, but his reaction couldn't have been better. 

Finally, what did we do to celebrate this little dude? My sister flew all the way from Utah to celebrate with us. Now that is an aunt who loves her nephew. She helped me fill the crib with balloons when he  woke up at 5:30am then we watched him play around in his new car from Grams Warden. He went back to bed  then woke up to his G and G King and two great aunties arriving to wish him happy birthday. All of his birthday wishers had to sacrifice a lot to come! His aunties drove seven hours through brutal traffic plus got a hotel room for the night, my parents are in the process of moving and my dad was absolutely exhausted, and my mom was days from having knee surgery.  Rowan immediately decided he would like to open presents when his adoring fans arrived. Holy moly this kid is one loved little guy! He is so blessed with so many people who love him. We then rented some rowboats at a nearby lake. My Rowboat hated it. The life jackets were uncomfortable for him and made it hard To see. He liked the water though so it wasn't a complete parenting fail. We also dined at Row's fav establishment that evening. His Asian BFF And him have such a cute connection. She gave him some tasty treats for free and held him for part of the meal. He was sadly exhausted by cake time. He only ate it to show his gratitude to me for making him a "plant-based" cake until the wee hours of the night on his birthday eve. I got uncharisticstivslly crafty for his big day by making his bow tie, banners, and food decorations. I felt kinda ridiculous, but I blame the King gene for that one.

I am so grateful to be this sweet, loving, beautiful little boy's mom. He is my pride and joy. He's the gift that doesn't stop giving. He's perfect in absolutely everyway imaginable.
Row's new car from his G&G Warden

The ballon crib explosion of 2015

A giant one of his pics. These are the some of the ones he plucked off and stored in the porcelain treasure chest. 

Look at that smiley guy!

I also made his ONEsie. I just ironed on some letters and had him put his painted hands on the back - so extraordinarily  gifted am I. 


Row's fav food 

More of Row's faces

Obviously Row hearts Rowing. 

LIke so much




The three people who ALL miraculously survived the last 365 days 


No comments:

Post a Comment