Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Ancient Children Finding Their Voices

In honor of the speedy advancement of the dreaded finals week, I have decided to list positive things about my classes this semester to remind me I didn't completely detest them (as I surely will in only a few days).
1. Physiology: Since I got to have this class four days a week directly after lunch, I got in some really great naps in this class. I conquered (if only briefly) my trigger of passing out upon drawing blood from my body. I learned everything imaginable about Dr. Rhees' health problems. I learned things that reminded me why I thought it would be a good idea to be an exercise science major.
2. Physics: Dr. Stokes = entertainment. Never a dull moment while listening to him further prove my theory he has Aspergers and making poor college students curse the moment they raised their hand to ask a question. The friends I made in this class have been life-savers. I wonder what I would have done had I not forced by poly friend into playing hang man, tic-tac toe, and "would you rather" with me every class period. What would I have done had my neuroscience genius bud not navigated my physics group through every Wednesday night torture lab?
3. Chemistry 107: .......um......this class was the source of 80% of my school hater moments. Okay, so mixing a bunch of elements together was pretty interesting and my two lab partners were VERY patient with my black cloud. When I poured sulfuric acid on my foot, it forced me to throw away a holey scooby sock I was refusing to part with. The 100% on my practicum made me believe in miracles.
4. Music Civ: My lil Aussie, American hating, Mo-tab singing professor was fantastic. He fully acknowledged that 8AM was a preposterous time to hold class and luckily didn't grade on attendance (much to the saving grace of D and I's grade). I found a song written for my voice. (Ancient Children Finding Their Voices-Crumb). D and I had a grand old time watching our freshman row friends laugh hysterically at everything Dr. Howard said.
5. Mission Prep: Wow! What didn't I love about this class? Brother Bott, watching Sarah announce she was engaged, learning more about the gospel than I ever imagined I could in a few short weeks, loving every single second of class.
6. Weight Lifting: The only reason I didn't balloon into a beached whale. Being blessed by my weight lifting partner. He will probably never read this (as many won't), so I feel okay about ranting about how remarkable this boy is. My friend is a brilliant mathematician. He recently rocked the LSAT well enough to apply to Harvard and Stanford with a high probability of being accepted. He is by far the most positive human being I have ever met. He also has cerebral palsy. I have had a lot of days this semester (tonight included) where I walk out of the testing wondering why I am majoring in exercise science. (Insert vent: no matter how long I study, how hard I try, how prepared I feel, how many study guides I make, I continually get terrible grades. That stupid, stupid screen in the testing center is all too eager to flash "Failure" back to me every time I take a test.) My friend has been a ray of sunshine reminding me why I am shaming myself by taking these classes. If I continue down my career path, I could help people like Michael. People who are constantly humbling others with their strength, optimism, faith, and love. I asked him today what his favorite part of the semester was, his response was "Going to ward prayer with you that one night". As I struggled to discover what great event happened that night, Michael filled my pondering silence with a beautiful expression of how it is the little things in life that make it wonderful.
In all, this semester has been a truly, truly blessed one. I have had certain people come into my life that have changed it for the better (Michael, Sel, Sel's relations, above mentioned classmates). Am I still pretty darn confused on my future life course? You bet. Who isn't though? Do I constantly wish I was reading about the kinship systems of different cultures or preparing my thesis for a field study to Ghana or aching that I could have said yes to my professor's request to change my field study to Kaokaland? oooohhh boy, do I! Am I happy with all that has happened and certain I will continue to be happy? Response to rhetorical question with another rhetorical question: Is listening to Josh Groban whilst eating Milka one of the most amazing experiences a living being can have? :)


No comments:

Post a Comment