Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Beauty of Buffalo Stampedes



When I was about six, my aunt, uncle and grandpa took me to Yellowstone with them. My uncle was bent on taking flash, up-close pictures of a herd of buffalo despite the sign clearly stating to be cautious and turn off your flash. You know that scene in Jamanji when the walls start shaking and Robin Williams looks up to see a stampede of wild animals charging down the hallway? The huge herd of buffalo my uncle was photographing started channeling their Jungle friends and started running straight toward our car. Luckily, they swerved a bit and while our panicked selves watched the hundreds of them rush past us within inches of the car. Since I was six, I was pretty sure I would easily be able to swing myself atop one of the bison and bounce merrily along with the fluffy creatures. Now that I am older, I am even more assured I could do this. What is the point of this story? Buffalo are awesome. Secondly, this week has felt a bit like a stampede of figurative buffalo. You know what? Sel and I are riding merrily atop of the Royal Buffalo Herd. I have noticed through this whole wedding extravaganza how I would not be on top of my buffalo were it not for the people who sedated the buffalo with some heavy tranquilizers. My Madre is the master buffalo tamer- some have given her the title of Bison Whisperer. Quite a lot of buffalo have run on by over the past few days. The Bachelorette Buffalo was bedazzled by Mugs and spiffed up by my amazing friends and family who came to admire the BB. The Wedding Showered Buffalo was broken in by KT, Grams, Madre, Mugs, and Ky. The Buffalo Sel and I adopted for the next two years was loaded down by all of Sel’s family members and has been scrubbed, de-molded, vacuumed, and will soon be organized in the next few days. It is hard right now to go over all the teenager and baby buffalo who have stampeded through because there have been such a shocking amount of them and every single one has been handled by Sel or the plethora of amazing bison tamers (specifically the Bison Whisperer). Since this will probably be my last post for a month or more (cause there are a lot of wonderful buffalo Sel and I and family still have to joyfully tackle), I just want to say how exciting a buffalo stampede is. Especially when you get to ride on top of them instead of being crushed by their massive selves. I cannot believe in three very short days I get to marry Sel and we can ride our very own buffalo all the way to Cape Canaveral and then sit atop it while it swims to the Western Caribbean. Buffalo have such a peculiar way of making me so happy. My friends make me so happy. My family makes me so happy. My Sel, soon to be life time Buffalo taming partner, makes me really, really happy. Hope you are able to ride cheerfully atop all of your buffalo for the next month or so! If not, just tie some green robe around the middle of it and hang on :)

No comments:

Post a Comment