Monday, June 25, 2012

Abby Normal

I am in an amazing sociology class for my LAST semester ever at BYU. We recently had an assignment where we were to team up with a partner, go the the Cougar Eat (main watering hole at BYU), and break social eating norms. Let's talk about how excited I was for this and how fantastic my partner was. 

First social norm to break was grabbing an ice-cream cone by the wrong end while shirtless. (Observe inspiration below)
Joke. Not shirtless, but that would have been even more entertaining. My brazen friend and I grabbed our cones from the perky ice-cream girl, her eyes bulged out of her head as she exclaimed "Holy cow! I've never seen anyone eat ice-cream like that?!"
My response as I began licking the hand numbing goodness dribbling all over the place "Really? It is SO much better this way. I love the feeling of melted ice-cream between my fingers"
My friend and I then trotted off to the restroom to watch our reflections eat our ice-cream while blocking the  poor girls who desperately needed to reapply their lip gloss. Based on the reaction of the girls in the bathroom for those precious fifteen minutes, you really would have thought we were beating up their grandma in front of them while naked.   
The final part of my "assignment" was my favorite. 
I zeroed in on two shy looking assumed freshman girls quietly eating there lunch. I walked up to the table, sat down, and stared at them. The first girl, being friendly, said "Would you like to sit with us?"
I wish I had the balls to just keep staring, but instead I nodded and started a conversation with them. Now here comes the best part, I stared licking the contents of my taco out while staring them in the face. It was hilarious! They avoided eye contact for the most part, but when they finally did look at me they tried to tell me I had something on my face. I tried to use my braid to wipe it away which was met with an onslaught of mortified staring. I finally just left the table with a friendly wave and expected to never see them again. 
False. Of all the tables in the silly place I ended up picking one with the two girls who would be taking tennis with me. Whoops. I still haven't told them it was for a project. I hope they continue to stare at me during tennis horrified I will eat a taco in front of them again. 

The real kicker from this assignment came from the phone call I made to my mom to tell her all about my project. 
Me: Hey Mom! Guess what I did today?

Mom: Honey, try on the green one! It makes your chest look manly. Oh sorry, sweetie, we are shopping for your dad. He is loving it.

Me: Oh I am sure (my dad detests shopping almost as much as I do). Anyway, I did this project (told her an abbreviated version of above). Isn't that awesome?!

Mom: Oh honey. Doesn't your professor know this wasn't a challenge for you? You're naturally a weirdo everyday of your life.

My mom loves me. She always knows how to make me feel extra special :)

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha LAUREN! This had me snorting!! You are the absolute best- I wish so badly I had been there to see all this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BAHAHAHAHA Oh how I love being a King... I love Mia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!!!! I definitely just woke my son up from laughing so hard! I can totally see you grabbing the ice cream cone by the ice cream... I wish I could've seen the girls face! Too funny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA this is the funniest thing I've read in a while. I wish I could have seen the ice cream thing. We will miss you guys

    ReplyDelete