Monday, June 28, 2010

The Land of Cheese and Elk

My weekends are generally something to be looked forward to with excitement and anxious anticipation. This weekend, however, brought more excitement than usual. I decided to go to Logan and visit my fantastic cousin Mugs. I made the occasional trips in my younger years with my family to see the elk and go to the cheese factory. This was the epitome of heaven for my family, especially my dad. I still look back lovingly on those memories, but have come to further question the abnormalities my family and I are privy to. The idea of bundling up the kiddies and putting them on a sleigh to travel slowly across a snowy expanse watching a herd of lazy elk eat and poop isn’t precisely something a lot of people did. I used to bring it up casually in elementary school conversations about how I spent my Saturday freezing my bones off watching some elk than got to eat samples of peculiar flavored cheeses. I would stand there waiting after describing my weekend for the other school yard kids to excitedly exclaim how they had done that the previous weekend too or how they were so jealous of the things my family and I did on our weekends. I still ponder on how I was completely friendless in those days…Diverging from that tangent. I miraculously found Megan’s apartment and decided to explore Utah State’s campus while I waited for her to get off work. I was struck with how breathtakingly beautiful it was and how surprisingly similar the campus was set up to BYU. I was walking up one of the many giant hills in Logan and ran smack into 3 uniformed USU athletes. My abilities in the suave department really came to my aid in this moment. One of them smiled and me and said, “Hey, How’s it going?” Instead of responding I just smiled and kept awkwardly walking right into another person who was waiting to cross the street. Startled, I apologized and snapped my head back to watch the rugby players walk away only to meet eyes with one of the boys who undoubtedly was watching to see if I did anything else extremely sexy.
Megan and I had talked about doing a few things, but we mostly just spent the weekend relaxing. She got back from work and we met up with her friends Steve and Karen. We went to dinner at the only place we seem to every go when we go out, Wingers. Our waiter had a lip ring so Karen decided to ask him if it hurt, to which he replied no. I jumped into the conversation with, “What about when you’re kissing? Does it hurt then?” Apparently he gets really great reviews and offered to ask one of the people he works with to testify of such or told me if I come in again, I can decide for myself. I never really liked Wingers anyway…A miracle occurred when we got back to the house. I played Nintendo and didn’t suck. That is, until Steve changed the level from “So easy a toddler could beat this thing” to “What seven year old kids do as a warm up”. My poor little victory at Star Wars Speed Racer was crushed into oblivion at least 30 times over. I went to bed shortly after to let “the adults” have grown up talk ;)
Saturday was by far the best. I woke up at nine and went on a fun hour long run all through Logan. I am still marveling at the beauty of that city. If you haven’t been there, you need to go right now. Seriously. Afterward, Megan and I went to the pool and resorted back to our childhood years. We jumped off the diving board, went down the slide, had a hand-stand contest and tried to touch the bottom of the deep end. I also got to read a new book called “The Hunger Games” while we were laying out and it was fantastic. We honestly bummed around after that. Watched a bazillion episodes of Psych, painted our toe nails, I finished my book, we went to church. It was truly lovely! So while venturing out to Logan doesn’t include the same activities it did when I was a child, it brought just as much joy as elks and cheese used too(and probably still would ;)

2 comments:

  1. I think the elk sleigh ride sounds awesome! Andrew's grandma lives there and used to always go to the Pepperidge Farm plant and get their throw-back Milano cookies! YUM! Sounds like you're having a great summer, a little better than last years experience huh??? No 6am weeding???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahah, how I miss those 6AM weedings with grams...How is your summer my lovely cousin? what are you and the kids up to? I very much wish that Utah and Cali were closer so I could come and see you. When Mikey comes though, I really want to come too!!

    ReplyDelete