Monday, February 27, 2012

After College

Sel and I are both currently working on our hoop jumping skills. False: We are not practicing for church basketball season. False: We are not fulfilling our dreams of joining the circus...yet. True: We are trying to look like the fanciest poodles in the arena for those menacing medical/grad school judge panel. (Note- I have always kind of dreamed of dying poodles pastel colors for Easter and having them deliver me cadbury eggs and jolly rancher jelly beans in a basket..)
Here are some of the things I have been noticing.
1. Getting into medical school is infinitely more difficult than getting into any other graduate program I have ever heard of. That poor boy has a lot on his shoulders, BUT those shoulders are some of the most capable, sturdy, fun to ride atop of shoulders I have ever known. Not worried in the slightest about Sel impressing the judges. He kind of impresses everyone with his brilliance (and charming little boy smile)
2. I should have gone to BYU-I. Yes, it is a frigid wasteland of seeming death, BUT it has gloriously small class sizes. One of the most important things for both Med/OT school are letters of recommendation. With BYU's typical science classes of 300 plus, being B.F.F.'s with your prof is not happening anytime soon. Even in the upper level classes Sel and I am are in currently, it is so dang hard to get to know your professors. Especially if you have a billion things to do that going into an office hour or two is requiring you to call a bunch of humans and explain you won't be able to make it to your usual appointment. Do I wish I was super tight with my profs? Heck to the yes. Not just for letters of recommendation, but because I genuinely would love to hear all about their wonderful, brilliant, quirky lives.
3. OT School + Med School = Poor. Yes, I know taking out student loans is expected and they get paid off one way or another. The daunting thing is though precisely how much that entails. My very bright mom-in-law said we should look at it as an investment, but I sometimes wonder if I would actually want to invest in me. I definitely would invest in Sel over and over again, but come on...I should be studying for my two quizzes tomorrow and am instead blogging about how worried I am at succeeding at life. Elle Stock's are going at 1 Rupee right now.
4. Studying for the GRE while trying to balance school, work, saving the world from man eating dolls, volunteering, and normal bodily maintenance things (showering, eating, sleeping) is really, REALLY not happening. As in I have studied a grand total of twenty pages.
5. Figuring out what to do with yourself for a year in P-town while Sel finishes school is not particularly exciting. Mostly I just worry about whether or not I will become the college graduate working at Mickey Dee's. (No Offense lil sis. That was a very respectable occupation when you were 16)
6. The only thing really motivating me to continue to raise my violet died fluffy body through flaming hoops of impossibility is the idea that I might someday be an actual OT. I might actually be a fetching Professor of OT. Dr. Elle. I would, of course, require any and all of our future offspring to refer to me as Dr. I might actually be able to get paid to teach a stroke victim how to eat again or play with four-year-olds on a trampoline all day. I could hang out with my friends at the mental hospital all day while we make dream catchers. Who wouldn't want to get paid to play with people you know you are going to love?
Ugh. Anybody else feeling like they would rather drink shots of arsenic tainted cough syrup than do all of these fun application items?

1 comment: