Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Blowing Up the Kitchen

One of the first things that attracted me to Sel was not only that he was an AMAZING cook, but that he loved it. He had/has such a classy taste and he loves fruits and vegetables which are the two food groups I love more than anything. The past 8 months of Warden cooking have been more fantastic than I could ever imagine. Sel is always complimentary even if it certainly isn't the best. See, I was always shooed out of the kitchen whenever I picked up a pan because there was a 99.6% chance I would blow up our entire house (luckily I only blew up the microwave once...right, mom?) BUT I have become so much better. I no longer only make soup and steamed vegetables.
This is what our kitchen table looks like after we go grocery shopping (which happens to be one of our favorite things to do) Yeah for Winco!!!

We recently tried this: Dragon Fruit. We didn't particularly love it. It tastes like a bland kiwi, but it certainly looks amazing.
Two of my more recent dinners were homemade corn tortillas with red lentils, "spanish rice"-I made some homemade salsa and cooked it in with the rice (Sel's idea), peppers, and fat-free plain yogurt with chili powder, lime juice, and paprika for seasoning.

It got put on our favorite recipe list

The other recent recipe was vegetarian lasagna. I loved the recipe, but Sel wasn't too keen to add it. The recipe called for lemon zest and nutmeg which made the lasagna more tangy than typical recipes. Sel thought it tasted like Tutti Fruti's :)


spinach with ricotta cheese & nutmeg
homemade tomato sauce with carrots, mushrooms, green and red peppers, and the yellow stuff is the lemon zest






2 comments:

  1. Direct Quote: "Oh! That's what lemon zest is? You just grind up the rind? No wonder I didn't ilke it very much" - Sel after I showed him this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh....you let your broccoli and cauliflower touch!!!!! Now they're both ruined!!!!!! Actually, the cauliflower was ruined the day the Lord created it, along with onions and poison ivy, when He cast Adam and Eve out of Missouri.

    ReplyDelete