Saturday, February 15, 2014

Lanterns, St. Julians & Rotkohl

Valentines this year was the bomb.com. I woke up Vday morning to red velvet pancakes and a plethora of unexpected presents from Sel. He was so sneaky! After work, we made an absolutely delicious German dinner - homemade spaetzle, chicken schnitzel with shrooms, and rotkhol. I could eat a pound of rotkhol everyday, all day. If you haven't tried it, you should. We also found this amazing sparkling grape juice over New Years that puts Welches to shame. It's called St. Julian's and it's made in none other than the best state in the U.S of .A.(Michigan). We have been hunting for it ever since New Years with no luck until…Sel the Stud found it the day before Vday! Oh.my.heavens. I know I am talking a lot about food right now and you probs don't care, but that bottle of heaven is worth dedicating more than a few words to. 
After eating like kings, we drove to Oak Openings Metropark. It was sooo beautiful! The volunteers gave us a lantern and sent us on our 30 minute walk through the pines. The lantern was lit by a real candle, mind you, and I was a little bit worried I was going to accidentally kill the flame and we would be stranded in the dark. Honestly, we would have been completely fine if that had happened since there were little tea candles in bags all along the path and they had two fire stations set up too. That was such a cool part about the date! We made s'mores at the first fire and warmed up a bit. I wish I had gotten a picture of the volunteer helping at the first fire because she had mittens made out of two skunk and they still had bits of their faces. Super weird or super cool? I am going with a both for that one. 
Near the very end of our woodland journey, we had to cross a frozen lake. Sel was not a fan. He was paranoid the entire time it was going to break and wouldn't let me talk for fear he would miss the tell-tale sound of ice cracking.
We ended our little romantic romp at the park lodge where we were showered in chocolaty goodness. They had a fancy gourmet hot chocolate bar, fresh fruit, all sorts of cheeses, cakes, and a wonderful selection of chocolates. 
My love language obviously must be food because I more or less talked about it this WHOLE post. Whoops! Hope your day was equally as fun!
Vday breakfast surprise. Sel got me my favorite Rittersport & Lindt, warheads, flowers, and a fluffy monkey for our bambino. Also notice St. Julians being perfect in the background. 

Sel looking extra dashing and Valentines-ish in his red tie and shirt. I also am impaired and couldn't figure out on my phone how to fix his red eye. 

This was on the frozen lake. I had a slight urge to steal some of the candles. Life is rough when you are a candle addict. 


Sel looks SO frightened and frightening in this picture. :) I am a little bit in love with it. 

We ran into our amazing friend who has kept us in the loop about all the fun parks happenings. Thanks Laura for helping us find such splendid things to entertain ourselves with!


1 comment:

  1. I loooove your blog! So I totally nominated you for a Liebster Award, check it out at http://byuconfessionsbabe.blogspot.com/2014/02/liebster-award-ja.html?spref=fb . I love food too, and think it completely appropriate that it's a running theme in your VDay post :D

    ReplyDelete