Friday, July 1, 2011

Dear Summer

I would like to ask why you are doing this to me? What do you have to prove, really? I know I asked you to go quickly because the best thing in the whole history of mankind is happening on August 12th, but I didn’t mean this quickly. I figured you would let me hike/run around more, go on awesome bike rides, camp at least once, maybe read twenty or so books, finish my projects at work, go on a study abroad to India for free (okay, I know you said no to this one. I understand. But what about the others?!). You aren’t going to let that happen though, are you? Do you take pleasure in watching me grasp desperately at time I don’t have? I bet you are sitting there right now in your warm, happy, care free little world chuckling as you watch me realize you will be traveling to the other hemisphere in a few weeks. Would you like to explain to me why you changed so much from the last Sel or I saw of you? Last time you were around you were, despite some of your flaws, a most delightful guest. You played with Sel in Germany a whole bunch and in some other fun European countries. Maybe from the outside you weren’t particularly warm to me at first, but looking back I am finding I really loved you. I loved all the adventures you got me into: skydiving, getting head butted (twice) by a rowdy calf, finding a marijuana field in downtown Salt Lake, almost getting struck by lightning with two random dudes running with me at Donut Falls, taking daily runs through the mountains of Utah, almost drowning Caitlin and I while kayaking, almost getting hit by a train, getting abandoned while camping at Goblin Valley, almost having a heart attack with Matty on our road trip to Coeur D’Alene, Hurt in the Dirt. I really could go on and on about all the adventures you and I went on last time you were here. The thing is, I am going to have to ask you to just chill out for a bit. Give Sel a bit longer to study for the Merciless Catapult of Awful Testing (M.C.A.T.) and do his History of Creativity project. Maybe give us three weekends where we don’t have anything planned. Now don’t go getting defensive. I understand that all of the things you are letting us do are truly fantastic, the best ever actually (Shrek, Harry Potter, L.A., Harry Potter, 4th of July in IF, Harry Potter, Our Wedding, honeymoon). It’s just I am getting more and more disturbed at your cruel humor of leaving me without much notice. I am going to need a bit more than two seconds to process all the things going on in my life right now. I hope you will take a good, long look at yourself and decide whether you want to continue pretending it is already July. I am not trying to hurt you old friend, I am only trying to help you.

Sincerely,
L

No comments:

Post a Comment