Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Grains of Sand

I love to laugh. I love to laugh all out-body shaking, worries forgotten. You can't always be laughing though. Sometimes you are left to fill the spaces between laughter with more complicated thoughts. Sometimes these spaces are filled with the thought of how unjust the world can be. Ever since I was little, I would become overwhelmed by the realization that I couldn't help everyone. I would sob uncontrollably when we would pass homeless people and I would beg my parents to let me help them somehow. Sorrow and almost unbearable guilt will still wash over me when I consider how many of my fellow brothers and sisters go without every day while I sit in the palm of absolute luxury. I have never been in want of anything-especially love. My family has provided more than I could ever return. Thinking about each one of my family member's contributions to my well being over the years is like trying to count grains of sand. It's impossible to count every act of charity given unto me. My aunt and uncle are two who have given me everything they possibly could and more. To start, they have let me stay free of charge in their home for the past two summers. My aunt always makes it a point to stock the kitchen full of one of my favorite treats-bell peppers. My uncle doesn't smack me upside the head when I repeatedly eat his things. When I look at my aunt and uncle, I see all the world should be.
Humble. Giving. Loving. Patient. Faithful. Selfless. Strong.
I am sure they would be beyond embarrassed should they know I am praising them, but they deserve it. They deserve much, much more than a silly little blog post could amount to. They deserve to be millionaires and travel the world without care. They deserve to retire to Santa Barbra. They deserve to have perfect health. They deserve to be recognized for all their good deeds. You want to know what the greatest part about them is? Even though it is without question that they deserve all these things, they will continue to bless my life and all others lives without complaint. Here is to the woman who helped me stuff/address five hundred wedding invitations. The man who carried in all my luggage yesterday. The couple who deserves the best and express their gratitude as if they already have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment