Thursday, June 13, 2013

There is Something Majestic in the Bad Taste of Italy

Amen to that. While Italy was stunning and interesting and magical, it was my least favorite of our countries we visited. I know, I know, how could I dislike Italy? I didn't dislike it by any means, it just didn't quite measure up to the other places we visited. Here are the things that were amazing in Italy
1. The Food
2. The Gelato
3. Watching Italians ignore all traffic regulations in tiny smart cars
4. Mario Enzo  - the squat little Italian man who sold me my beautiful leather jacket, said "Mamma Mia" while puffing on his cigarette, told me I needed to start wearing high heels so my butt popped more and kissed my cheeks at our parting.
5. The Pistachio Canoli
6. The Gelato
7. The Sistine Chapel
8. The Gelato
9. Getting an expensive bottle of Champagne and flowers from our amazing tour director, Case, on my birthday. I miss that kind Dutch man with his wonderful history lessons and fantastic accent
10. The Italian countryside
11. The Borghese museum was absolutely astounding. I think Bernini was the best sculptor in the world. The Rape of Persephone and Apollo and Daphne  were the most beautiful pieces of artwork I have ever seen. Not even a careless superlative there. It is miraculous what Bernini was able to do with marble. You could actually see light through Daphne's marble leaves. And the emotions were so intense and so real for both pieces. Aw, just spectacular. This was my favorite part of Italy by far.
12. The David & Michaelangelo's Slaves  - Sel and I just stared at David for a good twenty minutes and I swear I saw him breathing. Though David and Michaelangelo's slaves were amazing, they didn't quite compare to Bernini's work.
13. Venice. All of it. All of it's beauty and history and none of it's tourism (which is sadly the only thing keeping it alive)
15. The Gelato











From the "Bridge of Sighs" in Venice

Bridge of Sighs


No comments:

Post a Comment