Monday, March 21, 2011

Stick It To the Man


I love this picture. Sel and I walked around Wal-Mart with our matching mustaches at midnight on Saturday and awed the late night shoppers. This man is my favorite person probably ever.

Yesterday, a truly beautiful thing happened in the Eyring Building. As thirty or so admirable physics students reviewed today's lab, a thought blossomed in a few of their heads. Band together to teach physics lab a lesson. Stick it to the "Man" (the embittered physics major who gets a power trip from marking students half a letter grade off on their lab reports for not putting "m", "kg", "nm", "your mom" on every single numerical value instead of grading them on the correctness of the values they spent the entire lab period on). I have never enjoyed a lab more today. The camaraderie forged as each lab group was assigned a different portion of the lab instead of each group doing the entire lab on their lonesome almost made me cry. It was more beautiful than a double rainbow. More delicious than a giant bowl of raspberries. More satisfying than eating Sars ice-cream without her knowing. You think I am taking this a little too far? Well, I will put it in perspective for you. I normally leave lab wondering why in the world anyone ever thought it would be worthwhile for me to spend three hours aligning lenses with a slit of light. Or why anyone expected me to learn something valuable from drawing colored magnetic field lines on a graph. Or why someone thought I could apply even a portion of what I learned in lab to real life. Mostly, physics lab leaves me in a less than pleasant mood. Today, I didn't just leave with a smile on my face. I left LAUGHING. Yup, I laughed as I walked out the door knowing Section 08 won a very important battle in the war against the Man.


No comments:

Post a Comment