Sunday, May 15, 2011

Afternoon Tea with Barack & Michelle

Over the past three weeks, I have taken a lil tour of the home country. Throughout my travels and in pursuit of getting a new driver’s license (as I have now turned the ripe old age of 21), I have realized I am a homeless person. Since the King Klan has moved to Ohio, I am not exactly sure where to say I am from. I can’t technically say Michigan cause no one in my family lives there and I only lived there for 3.5 years. I can’t say Ohio cause I have spent a grand total of three weeks and three days there in my short life. I am currently trying to claim Utah residency, though I don’t exactly have that one going for me either. I am attempting to use the B-mont address to prove I have lived here for a year, but I am no longer living there. Sigh. I am thinking of moving into a van down by the river. I have always had a fondness for muskrats…

I also had the opportunity to visit a few other states (besides the previously mentioned Oregon): Idaho (for Easter), Illinois (I love Chicago), Ohio, Maryland, Pennsylvania (Sel’s birth place), Washington D.C., West Virginia, and Virginia. I visited ten states in ten days if you count staying a night in Utah. It was kind of an exhausted blur, but I absolutely loved it. I loved everything D.C. had to offer. I had let a few of my AP U.S. History facts trickle out of my brain over the past couple years and adored being reminded of them again and remembering how much I love history. Especially U.S. history. America has had and continues to have its issues like every other country, but I doubt many could easily disregard its magnificence. The brilliant and inspired people who have poured sacrifice after sacrifice into this country are endless and have made America what it is today. I was particularly touched by the war memorials. The Vietnam wall left me speechless. At first I wasn’t sure how to feel looking at the thousands of names I didn’t recognize etched along the far too long marble wall. I then imagined how I would feel to see the names of boys from my ward, friends, my cousins, and even Sel’s name on that wall.

I cannot imagine the pain their loved ones must have felt. I found this quote in Gettysburg that sadly rings true for every war

My family and I also got to visit the WWII memorial and see this picture of my Grandpa King.

He fought in the U.S. Navy and happens to be one of the greatest men to ever live. My grandpa acted a bit like a grumpy old man when he was alive, but he was actually uncommonly kind and giving. I remember one moment from my childhood where he secretly gave me a pretty unicorn necklace and told me the church was true. I have never forgotten that moment nor the other moments where he and my grandma came to ever single sad soccer and basketball game of mine. As I looked at his picture at the memorial, I wondered about how different my life would have been had Reed Kent not come back from the war. My dad, uncle and three beautiful aunts wouldn’t exist. My fun and wonderful first and second cousins wouldn’t exist. My sister wouldn’t exist (see below as she tries to steal a penny from the Lincoln memorial). I wouldn’t exist. My grandma would have married one of the seven other men begging for her beautiful hand and the sixty plus relatives of mine wouldn’t be who they are today. He and my grandma created ripple after ripple of beauty for so many people. After having this run through my head, I thought about the thousands of good men who didn’t return to marry the perfect woman and create a crazy, loud, sometimes obnoxious, yet loving family.

I don’t think the living will never be able to properly honor the names of those who died for this country. Arlington, however, gets really close to showing the gratitude our country has for our soldiers. Especially in regard to the tomb of the unknown soldier. Those who guard the tomb essentially serve something similar to an LDS mission. They abstain from all forms of drugs and alcohol and spend three years fully dedicated to guarding the tomb which is guarded 24/7 rain or shine. It is one of the highest honors a soldier can receive to guard the tomb and it is truly a humbling experience to see and understand all that they do.

We also visited the Holocaust museum. I would go into detail, but I really feel every person should go there at one point in his or her life. I unashamedly cried through the majority of the exhibits. In regard to the Holocaust, I sometimes learn things I never want to think on again. I know human cruelty is deeper and more horrific than I will probably ever comprehend. Why dwell on this fact instead of rejoicing for the billions of examples of humanity’s altruistic ways?When leaving the museum, however, there was a message that altered my mindset. It said to the effect “Next time you see injustice or cruelty, remember what you’ve seen here. Keep this from ever happening again with your remembrance.” This is another powerful quote from the museum.

Before we left D.C., we also visited a couple of the Smithsonian museums. The Aircraft and Spacecraft museum was fascinating! I love everything about astronomy and this museum certainly catered to my love. My favorite Smithsonian was easily the Natural Museum of History. All of that science coupled with history compacted in one area was a dream come true.

We also got to see a beautiful art museum, the museum of printing and engraving (where they make all the money. I was really hoping they would give out a couple Benjamins for souvenirs….), and, of course, we checked out the Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, and other important U.S. documents. I would have to say the perfect ending to our D.C. adventure was having tea (herbal of course) with Michelle and Barack. The Obamas are such a charming couple and extremely generous to those they like (aka me…). We invited them to spend a family weekend with us in the Hamptons and we are all looking forward to being reunited. They are especially anxious to meet Sel after hearing so much about him.

The final thing we did on our trip was visit Gettysburg. Instead of relaying my many reflections, I will encourage you to go. The best way I think to start your Gettysburg experience is to watch the movie (narrated by none other than Morgan Freeman) about all of the historical details, do the cyclorama (a giant panoramic mural was created four years after the civil war and you move to different areas of the room as another narration with sound effects walks you through the battle), and walk through the museum. After we really soaked in the details, we just went and stood on the actual sites. The feelings I had are really hard to place. I will let you try and sort them out for yourself when you go there.

I know this post was abnormally long, but I feel like D.C. not only deserves it, but demands it. Hope you get to go there someday!








1 comment:

  1. How wonderful that Grandpa is honored there! You wrote about it so beautifully, too. I love you! Love, Kim

    ReplyDelete