Thursday, May 19, 2011

Work It Out Now-Funk So Brotha

(The professional looking one. Notice the large number of female interns)
(This picture is all I need to know this year's group is going to be AWESOME!)

First off, I like this song. Second, I have officially started back up with my internship at Watson Pharmaceuticals. I will admit, I was not exactly thrilled at the thought of going back to a 40 hour work week initially. BUT I now have to admit how much I love it already. Time is a really confusing concept for me. You might be thinking to yourself, "Well that's absurd. Time makes perfect sense to me. I know everything there is to know about time." Well, Congratulations! I will be mailing you a shiny gum wrapper with your name on it followed by the title Time Know-It-ALL. During the school year, getting up before 8AM is pure torture. My attendance record for my 8AM classes over the past three years has been sad. Almost as sad as it is to think Sel actually likes the creepy "family heirloom" clown pictures he insists on having in our future abode. On Sunday, my foot was standing "too close" to one of those Nightmare on Elm Street paintings and he almost had a stroke thinking my foot might just destory one of them. If I had been thinking of doing that, everyone knows it wouldn't have been my fault. Your feet are not expected to have control of themselves when they are within twenty feet of the highly disturbing clown paintings. Anyway, back to why time confuses me. I get up at 5:45AM every single day for work during the summer. While getting up this early isn't exactly what I call easy, it ranks on the easiness sclae somewhere between painting my own toe nails and water skiing. (I know most of you out there probably aren't keeping the detailed log of my abilities that you should be. Because I understand your own life may occasionally (very, very occaisionally) prevent you from making my life your main priority, I will help you out. I can paint my own toe nails, though they look like a 5-year-old did it and I suprisingly can water ski fairly well). I think the whole getting paid to be at work is what helps with the waking up before the sun thing. I am planning on asking BYU if they want to actually pay me the sum I normally pay them to go to class. I am 96 % sure they will agree once I reveal to them my plan to teach a SuperHero class to a few select students. The 4% uncertainty comes from my concern they will also want me to teach a Side-Kick class and I simply don't have the time...
One last thing for you to know before you go and do something more productive with your life. My job=AMAZING! The people I work with are phenomenal. In fact, three of my favorite lab friends took me to a belated birthday lunch today and bought me the legendary Passionfruit Cheescake for dessert. All of the people in my department are friendly and brilliant and perfect co-workers. I also am loving what I get to do. I recently got a project from the CMC group that I think might be my favorite. I get to track different products that might (though this is extremely rare) carry strands of TSE-Transmissable Spongiform Encephalopathies (aka Mad Cow Disesase). I am learning about prions right now and the different classes of medicine that follow under this tracking category. It is interesting. Trust me. The other interns also seem fantastic. I got confused all over again this summer though why Watson hired me. Here is a brief breakdown of this years SLC interns.

1 Biomedical Engineer in his second year of the Masters program.
1 Pharmacology student
1 Mechanical Engineering Major
2 Chemistry Majors
6 Chemical/Biomedical Engineering Majors
AND
1 Exercise Science Major. I bet you will never guess who this one is...

I think it must be cause they are hoping I will handpick any of their children attending BYU for my SuperHero class...

L












No comments:

Post a Comment