Thursday, May 19, 2011

Party of the Century Updates

My wonderful mother took the forever long journey to Salt Lake (cause she loves me) this last weekend to help my find a wedding dress and help Sel and I get everything else in order for the party of the century. My mom denies it now, but she was not looking forward to two fun filled days of shopping with world's worst shopper. I despise shopping. I hate the idea of spending money on clothes when I could actually be running with a fig leaf or two through the mountainous terrain. If you live in the mountains and also have magical powers to keep warm and be bug resistant, you don't need clothes. SO. This is where I announce Sel and I's decision to move to the mountains and live off the sweet berries of the earth. Either that, or we are joining an Amish community so we don't have to worry about clothes or murdering anything electronic with a simple touch of my cursed hands. Amish Paradise, here we come.

Anyway, back to the gown and my sweet mother (and Kit who ended up driving us all over and helped me get in and out of far too many dresses). I don't know what I was happier about, finding a dress or having the day not end in its typical shopping disaster. At our third bridal store, Emporium, our triplet gang of "Say Yes to the Dress" was instructed to look at some of the samples while the consultant went and pulled some dresses for me. My mom and I found this one sample we both thought was pretty snazzy and asked the consultant to pull it when she got back. To our disappointment, she said the sample was the only dress they had. My dismay must have been too much for her poor heart to stand cause she then asked if I wanted to try the sample on. As she stripped the poor mannequin, she told me the likelihood of it fitting well was slim because it was a sample, but that I could easily get it altered. Kit came in to help me zip it up and then we made our grand entrance to the giant mirrors. My madre got a bit teary eyed and I got a bit happy. We called Poptart to tell him we finally found it and he didn't even flinch when we told him the price. I won't tell you the price cause it makes me sick to think about it and you will judge me for letting my sweet mother spend so much on a frock I will only wear a few times. Just know it is worth it *(if it isn't, I am pretending it is anyway). My favorite part of the day was when the designer came on the floor (which is apparently very rare). The consultant had been so amazed that the sample fit perfectly (apparently this is also very rare) and had to inform the ascot wearing designer the only sample he had of that dress wanted to walk out of the door with me. He waxed poetic for at least a half and hour about the art of my dress and weddings in general while poking and prodding me. I stood uncomfortably on the little pedestal while Kit, Madre, 3 consultants, random man, and the designer stared at me under the bright lights for what felt like forever. Finally, the three of us were gloriously released to the outside, non-wedding dress world.

For all you non-male readers out there (as I know this will bore everyone but the female population), I will now give a detailed update on all Madre, Sel, Kit and I have completed for August 12.

Wedding dress: it's beautiful! It has Alencon lace with a bubble ruffle hem, a modified sweetheart neckline, crossover petal sleeve and chapel train. It is certainly a bit different than what I thought I wanted, but the reality is I was never exactly sure what I wanted in the first place

Flowers: Zoo bouquet: Monkey tails, kangaroo paws, one gigantic sunflower, billy balls, burnt orange and chartreuse spider mums, purple stock, and a hamster dyed plum with a bow around its neck and a little flower in his mouth. We also picked all of the wedding party flowers and centerpieces.


Decorations: Plum and ivory table clothes with olive chair ties. A giant floating sunflower above purple gem like things as centerpieces. The reception center is stunning! It was built in 1901 as an LDS chapel and has very Victorian era feel to it. We are in the Tuscan styled garden room and it is fantastic! I think Sel and I's favorite part was the twinkling lil Christmas lights strung along the pillars and ceiling arches. The garden is chock full of gorgeous flowers and trees and a fun fountain.


Cake: Bottom layer= chocolate with Bavarian cream filling. Middle layer=carrot cake with cream cheese filling. Top layer=marble with chocolate filling. Butter cream frosting all over cause fondant tastes n-a-s-t-y.



Menu: Orange Sesame Chicken Lollipops

Fresh Tomato Basil Bruschetta

Club,Turkey Cranberry, Roast Beef and Cheddar with Horseradish, Pastrami and Swiss, Ham and Gouda Petite Sandwiches

Imported and Domestic Cheese Display

Seasonal Fresh Fruit Display
Homemade Oreos and Chocolate Chip Cookies with Milk Shots (isn't that SO cool. You get your own shot glass of milk to dip your cookie in. Genius.)

Extraordinarily Tasty Wedding Cake


Luncheon: Joseph Smith Memorial. Wasatch Room. Still looking over a menu for this one, but we have had it booked for weeks now thanks to D-Wise's expert preparation skills. (She also happens to be fully prepared for any Zombie Apocalypses)

Sounds exciting, huh? Here is a public thank you to Mrs. Plum (that is your new alias mom) for taking charge and making so many things happen in 48 hours. I would be agreeing to the skydiving wedding my co-worker is trying to convince me I need to do were it not for you. You are the best mom a girl could ever ask for!


Since Sel and I are comparable to the Royals who just got hitched, America has decided to follow in England's footsteps in celebrating our big day. August 12 is going to be a national holiday. Wait, every country is going to get a holiday! Yeah! I have heard your wedding day goes by in a blur and by the time you get to the reception, you are too exhausted to enjoy it. Sel and I, however, are going to be the exception to this commonality. How many other times in our lives are we going to throw a GIANT bash and invite everyone we love? Yup, it is going to be grand :) Be there or be square.


L











No comments:

Post a Comment